Integrating with Google Assistant and Google Home
What is Google Assistant?
Google Assistant is Google’s voice assistant, which is available on Google Home devices, the Google Assistant mobile app, Android TVs, Android Wear devices, and other voice-activated devices supporting Google Assistant.
How does Google Assistant work with August?
As part of August’s integration with Google Assistant, August customers can interact with their August Smart Lock using their voice. Your August lock must be connected to Wi-Fi using the August Connect device or August Doorbell Camera.
There are two ways to interact with the Google Assistant. These are called Actions:
1. Google Assistant Direct Action
Once you connect your August Account to Google through the Google Assistant, you can make the following lock request or check the lock’s status:
- “OK, Google, lock my front door.” (use the name assigned to your door in the August app)
- “OK, Google, is my front door locked?”
If you have DoorSense installed on your door to indicate whether your door is open or closed, you can also check that status by saying:
- “Ok, Google, is my front door closed?”
How do I set up the Google Direct Action?
- Launch and log into the Google Assistant app
- Tap the blue drawer icon in the upper right corner
- Select Settings > Home Control
- Tap the plus sign icon in the bottom right corner to Add devices
- Select August Home
- Sign in with your August account information to see your August lock(s) listed in Google Assistant’s Devices section
You should now be able to view and manage your available August Locks in Google Assistant app (Settings > Home Control) or Google Home app (Home Control section). Please note:
- If you change the name of your lock, it is best to unlink and relink your accounts so the new name is recognized by Google Home.
- The unlock function is not available through this action at this time.
2. Google Assistant Conversational Action
The Conversational Action requires that you say “Ok Google, ask August to… [your request] and once you connect your August account to Google, you can ask Google to list your locks, lock the door, or, if DoorSense is installed, check the status of your door. Please note that the unlock function is not available through this action at this time.
How do I set up the Google Conversational Action?
- Say "OK Google, talk to August".
- In the Google Assistant app, tap the LINK button on the Link to August card.
- Sign in with your August account information to link your account.
- You should now be able to view and manage your available August Locks by saying:
- “Ok Google, ask August to lock the front door."
- “Ok Google, ask August to list my locks."