Auto-Unlock for iOS
Auto-Unlock is a feature that automatically unlocks your door when you arrive home, without having to reach for your phone or your keys.
How it works
August uses two states to enable Auto-Unlock to function: Home mode, and Away mode. These modes indicate where Auto-Unlock thinks you are: at home, or away from home.
When you are at home (in Home mode), Auto-Unlock is not actively doing anything. It is waiting until you leave home.
When you are away from home (in Away mode), Auto-Unlock will be listening for the short-range (~15') Bluetooth signal of your lock in order to connect and unlock your door. This means Auto-Unlock cannot operate your lock when you are away from home.
You are considered away from home when you leave your immediate neighborhood, which is about 200 meters, or a couple city blocks. It is only after you leave this area that Auto-Unlock listens for your lock’s Bluetooth signal, waiting to unlock when you return home.
Tips for Good Auto-Unlock Performance
Leave Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned ON.
- Your phone uses these to determine your location. If your location is not accurate, Auto-Unlock will not work correctly.
Take advantage of the notifications.
- Auto-Unlock will notify you by default when you enter Home and Away modes. This helps you to reliably predict Auto-Unlock’s behavior. It is recommended to leave these notifications enabled.
- You will also be notified if there are any errors that would prevent Auto-Unlock from working properly.
Report any errors in operation.
- Many notifications will give you the opportunity to Report a Problem. You can always report an issue by visiting Lock Settings > Auto-Unlock and tapping the “Report a Problem” button.
For best results: enter & exit your home through the door with your August Smart Lock installed.
- If you enter through a door without Auto-Unlock enabled, it will still attempt to unlock the original door the next time it sees it. If you have a large house, this could be minutes or hours later.
Leave the August Home app running in the background; don’t force-quit it.
- Force quitting the August app will cause it to lose track of your Home or Away status. If this happens, the app will not try to Auto-Unlock your door as a safety precaution.
Do not power off your phone when you are away from home.
- Powering off your phone will cause the August app to lose track of your Home or Away status. If this happens, the app will not try to Auto-Unlock your door as a safety precaution.
Home and Away modes explained
Nothing happens automatically.
What does it mean?
You are assumed to be at home, and Auto-Unlock is not actively doing anything.
How can it be activated?
You are placed in Home mode after Auto-Unlock successfully unlocks your door when returning home.
You can place yourself in Home mode by visiting Auto-Unlock Settings > Advanced Settings, and switching from Away mode to Home mode.
In cases where your state cannot be determined, Auto-Unlock may default back to Home mode. These cases include:
Your phone restarts
The August Home app was force-quit
Your phone will attempt to unlock your lock the next time you are near it.
What does it mean?
You are assumed to have left home, as well as the area around your home. Auto-Unlock will listen for your lock’s Bluetooth signal, and attempt to unlock your door the next time you are within 10 – 15 feet of your lock. This listening does not use significant battery power.
How can it be activated?
You are placed in Away mode when your phone leaves the area around your home. This is typically about 200 meters away from your August Smart Lock, or a couple city blocks.
You can place yourself in Away mode by visiting Auto-Unlock Settings > Advanced Settings, and switching from Home mode to Away mode.
- NOTE: If you are standing near your August Smart Lock when manually entering Away mode, your lock should unlock within a few seconds. This is expected behavior, and will only happen because you are physically near your lock. This will not happen when you are away from home.
If you are automatically placed in Home mode because of an error, you will usually be given an option to re-enter Away mode.
My door didn’t unlock when I expected it to
You may not have gone far enough away from home
To enter Away mode, you must go further than 200 meters or a couple city blocks. Only then will Auto-Unlock attempt to unlock your door when you arrive home.
You can make sure Auto-Unlock tells you when you’re far enough away by enabling the notification. Auto-Unlock notification settings can be found in Lock Settings > Auto-Unlock.
Auto-Unlock may have reverted to Home mode because of an error
Most of these cases will send you a notification, with an option to correct the issue before you arrive home. Causes include:
Your phone was restarted
The August app was force-quit
A communication error with your lock
My door unlocked when I didn’t expect it to
Auto-Unlock incorrectly thought you left home
If you have very poor Wi-Fi or cellular connectivity. Your phone uses these to determine your current location.
The location of your lock is set incorrectly. You can change this in Auto-Unlock Settings > Advanced Settings.
Auto-Unlock didn’t see your lock when you came home
You entered through a door other than your Auto-Unlock enabled one.
Bluetooth on your phone was turned off when you came home.
Your lock’s batteries were very low.
How does August use my location data?